Justin in his natural habitat
I run Technically, among other things. The other things (toggle all):
I work on growth at Retool, a startup that helps engineers build better internal tools, faster.
Some things I have spent (and spend) time on:
- SEO - ranking for organic keywords that engineers search for when building internal tools
- Data modeling and engineering - building a warehouse for easy analysis via DBT and BigQuery
- Product - making the new user experience really good for specific integrations
- Documentation - explaining the product and helping users figure out their (niche) problems
I (unfortunately) don't get referral bonuses, but Retool is hiring.
I invest in early stage startups building tools for engineering and data teams.
Some companies that have taken my money:
- RoomService - an SDK for building multiplayer into your apps
- Hex - a tool to turn your Jupyter notebooks into interactive apps
- WorkOS - SDKs for adding enterprise ready features like SSO to your app
- Iggy - a suite of APIs that provide clean, useful location data to your app
- Railway - infrastructure as code, with a single environment across local and remote
- Roboflow - tools for cleaning and augmenting the images in your CV pipelines
- Prefect - a Python based general purpose workflow orchestrator
- (coming soon) an open source Firebase alternative built on Postgres
- (coming soon) an open source framework for deploying Machine Learning models
I help companies think about how to explain themselves and write interesting, valuable content for technical audiences.
Some of my technical writing (or at least writing for a technical audience):
I used to freelance but I currently do not.
I've been playing guitar for around 6 years (if you skip the off years).
- The Mary Kaye - a 1989 '62 Reissue MIA Mary Kaye Stratocaster (Rosewood)
- The Japanman - a 1987 '68 Reissue MIJ Stratocaster (Maple)
- The PRS - a 2016 PRS Custom 24
- The Acoustic - a 2012 Taylor 214
I play mostly blues / whatever you call John Mayer's style / things that involve your thumb. Am lead guy.
I collect Common Projects and write about sneakers and how they sell.
A few of my pieces for StockX:
I'm not actively writing about this stuff anymore but I am thinking about it!